Monday, January 2, 2012

LOW CAL CHICKEN SALAD

One of my favorite things to make is chicken salad, especially since I just got a food processor for Christmas.  Before Christmas, I would either hand shred/chop everything or even use a blender.  I had a craving for chicken salad, so I made it today, only this time, I carefully measured everything like a freaking chemist and figured out the caloric content.  So here you go:



LOW CALORIE CHICKEN SALAD

3 large chicken breasts, cooked, shredded
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 cup low fat mayo
1/4-1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish

*I like to use the Kraft Mayo with Cracked Pepper and Olive oil.  I'll use 1/2 cup of it, and 1/2 cup regular low fat mayo.  That stuff is very peppery, but very good.  I also buy already boiled and peeled eggs b/c I HATE HATE HATE to boil eggs.  I suck at it.  They always end up overcooked or with that green ring around the yolk.  You can buy a nice little package of 6 hardboiled/peeled eggs at Bi Lo for about $1.75.  They are located in the deli with the deli-made salads and such.  I also like to add seasoned salt to taste sometimes. 



This recipe makes TWELVE 1/2 cup servings.  Each serving has 119 calories.  I like to toss a 1/2 cup serving on bread and make a 225 calorie sandwich.  A good low calorie bread is a diet ESSENTIAL for me.  My absolute favorite is Sara Lee 45 Calorie and Delightful 100% Whole Wheat with Honey.  They also make it without honey if you don't like a hint of sweet in your bread.  It's kind of expensive but oh so worth it.  It's really soft and decent sized. 



As you can see, one serving is a lot.  Then I load it up with veggies of choice, accounting for the last handful of calories. 



I promise, this sandwich is way more filling than any 225 calorie Lean Cuisine out there, and that's coming from a big diet frozen meal fan!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment